The OnePlus 11R 5G is a popular smartphone for the specs it offers for the price, like the Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 chip and the IMX890 primary sensor, and rooting will take the customization even further. Even after the ColorOS merge, OnePlus allows you to easily unlock the bootloader and also allows you to root your device easily.
While reception to the ColorOS merge has been very mixed, rooting your phone allows a vast amount of extra customization, and enthusiasts can easily fill the software gaps. This article will show you how you can easily root your OnePlus 11R (Ace 2) using the popular Magisk tool.
How to root the OnePlus 11R using Magisk
Note: Rooting the OnePlus 11R is done at your own risk, and we recommend taking a backup of all your important data before proceeding. This will wipe your device’s data, and we’re not responsible for data loss or any boot loops or soft bricks that may occur during the process.
1: Download and install Android SDK
- Install the relevant Android SDK platform tools (Windows, macOS, Linux).
- Download it and extract the file to any convenient location on your PC. Add ADB to the path. Once done, install Fastboot drivers and verify your ADB connection.
- You will now get access to the platform-tools folder, which you will require throughout this article.
2: Enable OEM Unlocking & USB Debugging
- If you want to make your PC recognizable in ADB mode, you have to enable these two options. This step is necessary for your device to boot into Fastboot mode. First, open the Settings app on your phone.
- Scroll down till you see “About phone,” and tap on the build number seven times. Go back to the main Settings page.
- Open System and then tap on Advanced. Here, you’ll find developer options.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging.
3: Unlock the Bootloader on the OnePlus 11R
- Warning: Unlocking the bootloader will wipe all the data on your device. Make sure you have a backup of important data before proceeding, and we’re not responsible for any data loss. Doing this might also void your device of warranty.
- Open Android SDK and make sure USB Debugging and & OEM Unlocking are enabled. Boot your OnePlus 11R into Fastboot mode.
- Install the relevant Fastboot drivers.
- Type fastboot flashing unlock in the CMD Window.
- Hit the power key on your phone to confirm the process. The device will now reset, and the bootloader is open now.
Here is a full guide on how to do that.
4: Download the firmware for OnePlus 11R
- Download the OnePlus 11R firmware from the website, and extract the firmware to any location on your PC.
- OnePlus puts all the partition IMG files into a payload.bin file, so you have to first extract this file. Use the Payload Dumper tool to do the same.
- Transfer the boot.img to your device once the extraction is complete.
5: Patch OnePlus 11R Boot.img using Magisk
- Make sure you have the Magisk app downloaded and installed on your device.
- Launch it and use the Install button, which you will find next to Magisk.
- Tap on the “Select and patch file” option and find the stock boot.img file. Select this file.
- You’ll find a button that says “Let’s go” on the top right. Tap on it.
- This will now patch the boot.img file, and you will see it in the Downloads folder of your device.
- Transfer this file to the platform-tools folder on your PC. You have to use this file to root your OnePlus 11R.
6: Boot your smartphone into fastboot mode
- Connect your smartphone to your PC via a USC C cable. Make sure you have USB Debugging on.
- In the platform-tools folder, type CMD in the address bar and hit enter. This will launch CMD.
- Type adb reboot bootloader in the CMD Window to boot your device into fastboot mode.
- Type fastboot devices to verify your fastboot connection. This will give you the device ID as proof of verification.
- You have to install the proper fastboot drivers on your PC if you didn’t get a Serial ID.
7: Boot your OnePlus 11R using the Patched Magisk Boot.img
- You can choose to either temporarily boot the file or directly flash the boot.img file. The secondary approach is a fail-safe to test whether everything is working properly. If it is, we recommend proceeding with the permanent method. Note that a simple reboot will solve any sort of boot loop issues at this stage.
- If you want to view a temporarily rooted OS, type fastboot boot magisk_patched.img in the CMD window. Proceed to the next step if everything works fine.
8: How to permanently apply root
- To make the root permanent, open the Magisk app on your device. Tap on install, and choose direct install. Tap on the Let’s Go button.
- Tap on the reboot button at the bottom right.
- Now, the device should reboot into a permanently rooted OS.
This was how you could root your OnePlus 11R using fastboot commands and Magisk.
What are the benefits of rooting the OnePlus 11R?
You can use a lot of mods to enable extreme customization on your device. You can use several Magisk Modules, customize the look of your home screen a lot better, use Substratum themes, use different frameworks, flash several kernels, and use your own desired CPU profiles with CPU kernels. Relevant and compatible mods also improve the camera performance and animations of your device. You can fill in all the software gaps that are there with Oxygen OS.
What are the risks of rooting the OnePlus 11R?
Rooting comes with its own set of risks. First, you’ll lose all the data on your device. You won’t have any of your apps, photos, videos, or contacts left, and you will also get signed out of your Google Account. You have to sign back in later. Several banking apps may not work properly with a rooted device. Moreover, SafetyNet poses many issues, and you have to bypass it using lengthy processes. Rooting also voids the warranty of your phone. There’s also a chance that your device will get stuck in several boot loops, and severely damaged firmware can only be repaired by technicians.