How to Make Text Read Out Loud on your Android
There can be situations where someone sent you a text but you cannot reach your phone right now, like when you are cooking or finishing your chores. If you find yourself in a situation like this, you can make your phone read your texts. This feature can be especially useful for specially-abled people, who have trouble reaching their phone. Therefore here is How to Make Text Read Out Loud on your Android.
Use Google Assistant
Google Assistant is the most advanced voice assistant and is leaps ahead of competitors like Siri or Bixby. Google Assistant can read aloud text messages and anything you might want. But you will have to enable Google Assistant first if you haven’t already. Here is how to do it:
Enable Google Assistant
- Open the Google app on your phone and click on your Profile picture located in the top right-hand corner.
- Click on Google Assistant.
- Scroll down to tap on General and enable the toggle for Google Assistant from the following menu.
Make Google Assistant Read Text
After enabling Google Assistant you can ask it to read your screen out loud. To use it, summon the Google Assistant with ‘Hey Google’ or ‘OK Google’ wake words. When Google Assistant shows up, say “Read it” or ‘Read this page.
The webpage will now open in a custom browser window. At the bottom, you’ll see a few media controls to play/pause and move forward or backwards. You can also change the playback speed.
Google Assistant allows you to choose from various voices. To access them, tap the three-dot menu icon in the top right corner and select Read aloud voice. Choose the voice you want.
If you want the Google Assistant to read the webpage in some other language or your native language. Then tap the three-dot menu icon in the top right corner and select Translation. Select your preferred language and Google Assistant will start reading the web page in the specified language.
Use Select to Speak
Select to Speak is an accessibility feature designed for users who might have trouble reaching their phone or seeing text with their eyes. You can use this feature to make the text read aloud. Here is how:
- Open the Settings app and go to Accessibility.
- Go to Installed apps.
- Tap on Select to Speak from the following menu.
- If you don’t have the Android Accessibility Suite then download it from here.
- Toggle on the switch next to ‘Select to Speak shortcut’ and tap on Allow.
- A floating popup will now appear on your screen.
- Click on the popup to read any text on the screen.
- Adjust the Media controls from the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.
Here is How to Make Text Read Out Loud on your Android. If you just want t spend less time string on your screen or you have trouble reading then making your phone read texts can be a life-saving feature as you don’t have to constantly stare at your screen to get information.