Easily unlocking the bootloader is one of the key selling points of the Poco F5, and it’s the same for most Redmi or Poco phones. These phones have excellent community support for Google Camera mods, Custom ROMs, and more. Rooting your phone to gain superuser permissions requires an unlocked bootloader. The Poco F5 has good community support since the hardware package is very popular among enthusiasts, and the bootloader can be easily unlocked. You can install TWRP recovery if you unlock your bootloader. If you want to unlock your bootloader to take advantage of the full capabilities of the Poco F5, this article will show you how to do just that.
Note: Unlocking your bootloader is generally not a risky process, but make sure you are aware of the shortcomings of tweaks like rooting or installing ROMs.
- Install all the necessary ADB tools and fastboot drivers on your Windows PC or laptop. It’s a straightforward process, you have to press Y on the keyboard after granting administrator privileges and finish the driver installation. It will take about 15 seconds for the process to complete. Restart your PC after the installation finishes.
- Open the Settings app and enable developer options. To do this, tap the build number a few times until you get a prompt. Go to Developer Options and enable OEM Unlocking and USB debugging.
- Create a Mi account if you don’t have one already. If you already have one, connect it to your device.
- Open the Settings app and navigate to Developer Options. Go to Mi Unlock Status and check the “Add account and device” option.
- Make sure your phone has at least 80% charge since the unlock procedure could take a while.
- The phone number of the SIM Card on your phone should match the phone number that you’re using to create the Mi Account.
How to unlock the bootloader on Poco F5
- Make sure that all the above steps are properly carried out and that OEM unlocking and USB debugging are turned on. You also have to connect your device to a Mi account.
- Download the Mi Unlock Tool from the official website. Tap on Mi Unlock Status and agree to the terms.
- Hold the Volume Down and Power together for a few seconds, and your phone should now enter Fastboot mode.
- Then, connect your device to your PC or laptop with a USB C cable while it’s in Fastboot mode.
- Open the Mi Unlock Tool that you downloaded and start it.
- Enter your registered mail address and password. Use the same credentials that you’ve used to create your Mi account.
- Now, connect your device, and you’ll see a few instructions on how to unlock the bootloader on your screen.
- Agree to miflash_unlock.
- Click on the Unlock button and click Unlock anyway if you get a prompt.
- The process will take a while. Once it’s done, it’ll display a message that says Unlocked Successfully.
Note: In some cases, you could see an error message that says “Couldn’t unlock.” In that case, you have to wait for about 168 hours. It ranges between one week and two weeks. Once the waiting period to unlock your bootloader is complete, repeat the above steps.