OnePlus 9 / 9 Pro: How to Switch From Color OS to Oxygen OS [Without Bootloader Unlock]
OnePlus devices gained popularity thanks to their very affordable price and clean user interface, Oxygen OS (Hydrogen OS in Chine). Over the years, their prices have gone up and they have grown from being the flagship killer to a true flagship. But the fact that Oxygen OS remained one of the cleanest Android skins in the market kept its popularity fairly high. However, Its flagship devices in China will now run Oppo’s ColorOS skin instead of HydrogenOS. This has infuriated many users who were expecting to experience Oxygen OS. If that is the case there is an easy fix to this problem. This article will give you a clear idea of how to switch back from Color OS to Oxygen OS on your OnePlus 9 / 9 Pro.
Requirements to switch to Oxygen OS from Color OS
- Make sure to keep a complete device backup as this process will wipe off all the data from your device.
- Make sure to download the correct Downgrade package given here.
Here is the original Color OS file for anyone who wishes to go back.
After downloading the downgrade firmware, transfer it to the internal storage of your phone.
How To Switch to Oxygen OS from Color OS On OnePlus 9 Pro
- Open the Settings app on your phone.
- Select System and go down to Software Updates.
- Select the gear icon on the top right and click on Select installation package.
- If there is a pending update you may not be able to access the option. So either download and install the pending update or cancel it.
- Once you have taken care of the pending update, the ‘Select installation package’ option should be visible.
- Select the downgrade firmware which you had downloaded and click Install Now.
- Once the installation is complete, you will be notified to restart your device.
After the reboot, your device will be running the newly installed Oxygen OS skin.
Cancelling pending update
- If you want to cancel the pending update, go to Settings, scroll down to App management, and select App list.
- Select the overflow icon on the top right and click on Show System.
- Select the Software Update app from the list.
- Go to its Storage usage section and click on Clear Data and turn off the internet.
Switching from OxygenOS back to ColorOS
- Download the correct downgrade firmware from the above.
- Go to the Settings and then System.
- Select System Updates and click the gear icon on the top right.
- Choose the option for Local Upgrade and find the downloaded firmware and select it.
- Install the package and let the process complete.
- Reboot once the installation is complete.
After the reboot, your device will be running the newly installed Color OS skin.
This was a quick guide on how to switch from Color OS to Oxygen OS on OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro. As we all know OnePlus is merging with Oppo and so does their operating systems as well. Chances are that the upcoming Color OS based on Android 12 will share a lot of its DNA with Oxygen OS 12 on Oneplus 9 Pro.