How to Unlock Bootloader on Nothing Phone 1
After leaving OnePlus, Carl Pei started his new venture called Nothing. Nothing aims to disrupt the phone market by offering something new to the customers. The Nothing Phone 1 is a refreshing take on the modern smartphone. When most phones have started to look the same, Nothing’s new design is a breath of fresh air. The phone has also become quite popular in the dev community as Nothing has already released the kernel sources and the device tree for their device, therefore custom ROMs will be abundant for the Nothing Phone 1. Therefore here is How to Unlock Bootloader on Nothing Phone 1
Also Read- Top 5 Smartwatches under 30000
The first step in installing a custom ROM to your phone is Unlocking the Bootloader. It is the gateway to extracting the maximum benefits of Android’s open-source ecosystem.
Unlock Bootloader on Nothing Phone 1
Before going ahead and Unlocking the Bootloader on the Nothing Phone 1, here are the risks of Unlocking the Bootloader
- Take a full backup of your device.
- Warranty will be void.
- It will degrade the Widevine L1 certification to L3, thereby preventing you from streaming content in HD.
- Banking apps will not work as the Safety Net is triggered.
Install Android SDK
Install the official Android SDK tools on your PC. The official ADB and Fastboot binary provided by Google is the only recommended one. Install it in a convenient location on your PC.
Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
For the PC to be able to recognise your device. You would need to need to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your device.
- Go to Settings on your Nothing Phone 1.
- Go to Developer Options.
- Enable USB Debugging and OEM unlocking.
Boot Nothing Phone 1 to Fastboot Mode
- Connect your device to the PC via USB cable.
- Go to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Type in the following command in the CMD window to boot your device to Fastboot Mode
adb reboot bootloader
- Now type in the below command to verify the Fastboot Connection
- If the connection is successful you will get a device ID followed by the fastboot keyword.
Unlock the Bootloader on Nothing Phone 1
- Type in the below command in the CMD window that is opened inside the platform-tools
fastboot flashing unlock
- You will get a confirmation message on your device. Use the Volume keys to select the Unlock the Bootloader option and hit the Power key to confirm it.
- The phone will reset and your bootloader will be unlocked.
How to Unlock Critical Partitions in Nothing Phone 1
After Unlocking the Bootloader if you plan to flash individual partition files via Fastboot Commands [such as flashing the boot.img], then you will have to unlock the device’s critical partition as well.
- Boot your device in Fastboot mode as mentioned above.
- Type the below command to unlock the critical partitions on your device
fastboot flashing unlock_critical
- You may get a confirmation on your device. Use the Volume keys to select the Unlock the Bootloader option and hit the Power key to confirm it.
- Finally, execute the below command to boot your device to the OS
Here is How to Unlock Bootloader on Nothing Phone 1. Nothing has been supportive of the custom ROM community, unlike the other brands which will try anything to not let users change ROMs. This is because every brand wants its users to stay on their OS and use their services.