How To Unlock Bootloader of OnePlus 9, 9 Pro and 9R
OnePlus recently launched its 2021 smartphone lineup. The OnePlus 9 series. This time the company has launched three phones onePlus 9r, OnePlus 9 Pro and a regular OnePlus 9. The OnePlus 9 and 9 pro is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 chipset while the OnePlus 9R is powered by Snapdragon 870 chipset. All of them comes out of the box with Oxygen OS 11 based on Android 11. So if you are a hardcore user and is planning to root your smartphone or unlocking the bootloader. Then here is a quick tutorial on how to unlock the bootloader of the OnePlus 9, 9 Pro and 9R.
What is Bootloader?
A Bootloader is a piece of program that runs before the OS boots up. Usually, most of the devices are shipped with a locked bootloader to install any other software other than what it is shipping with just not possible. So unlocking the Bootloader usually opens the gateway of customization. After unlocking the Bootloader of a phone, you can install custom ROMS, root the device. Or if you want to install a particular MOD. Everything would be possible once you have unlocked the Bootloader. To unlock the Bootloader of the OnePlus 9, some pre-requisites are necessary and need to be followed.
Also Read- How To Unlock the bootloader Of OnePlus 8t
Unlocking the Bootloader can also give access to upgrading your Android version even if your manufacturer has dropped the software update support. With the help of custom ROMS, you can run Android 11 even on a five-year-old phone. Many OEMs voids warranty if we unlock the Bootloader. Fortunately, OnePlus isn’t one of them, and it doesn’t void warranty even if you have an unlocked bootloader.
How To Unlock The Bootloader of OnePlus 9?
To unlock the Bootloader, you need to ensure that you have taken a backup of all of your data. Unlocking the Bootloader will wipe out the data on your phone.
- Enable USB Debugging and OEM unlocking from the developer’s option.
- To Go to developer option go to settings >> about phone >> tap 7 times on build number >> enter your pin if asked >> now go to settings >> System >> developer’s option.
- Now find the option OEM UNLOCK and enable it. Scroll down a bit; then, there should be USB DEBUGGING allow that as well.
- Download ADB and Fastboot tools to unlock the Bootloader.
- After you have installed Minimal ADB and fastboot tools,
- Connect your phone to the PC via USB cable.
- Open Minimal ADB and fastboot on your PC.
- Now write “adb devices,” allow access on your phone when prompt.
- Type “adb reboot bootloader”.
- Wait for your phone to boot into Bootloader.
- Now type the command “fastboot OEM unlock.”
- When prompt on the phone for confirmation, use the volume button to select yes, then press the power button.
- After confirmation, wait for a second and then type “fastboot reboot” to reboot your phone into the system with an unlocked bootloader.
That’s it. Now you have an unlocked bootloader on your OnePlus 9. Further, you can root your phone if you want to. Else you can use custom ROMS and MODS for your phone. Remember, the first boot after unlocking the Bootloader might take a little longer as it has just wiped the data, so it takes a bit extra. Don’t worry, it’s fine.