How To sideload an Update file on Any Android Phone
Most of us get the updates officially using the OTA service of the phone. However, there are times when we need to sideload and manually install the software update. Or even if you want to downgrade your Android version or got to a previous version of your OS. Users need to sideload their desired ROM. So here is an extensive guide on how to sideload an update file on any Android Phone.
Sideloading an update file of the stock firmware can be helpful in many ways. If you are facing any bugs or issues, it can be fixed through it. There are times when you won’t lose any data while sideloading the ROM. However, if you will downgrade your firmware, then it will surely wipe out your data. Either way, it is safe to take your backup of essential data.
Mostly you can use this method to install updates for your OnePlus or Samsung phones. The latest beta of One UI 3.0 for galaxy S20 can be flashed using this method. Also, the stable Android 11 for OnePlus 8 pro can be installed through this method.
How To Sideload an Update File
There are a few prerequisites of sideloading as well. All of them are mentioned below, and make sure you have all of them. If not, then it sideloading won’t be possible.
- Make sure you have the correct firmware file downloaded on your PC. (Mostly it is .zip)
- Check that you have proper USB drivers installed on your particular Android device.
- The phone’s battery should be a minimum of 40%.
- Make sure you have ADB installed on your PC. If not, you can download it from here.
- After installing ADB, copy the firmware zip file into the folder where you have installed Minimal and fastboot (ADB).
- Enable USB debugging on your phone from the developer’s option.
- Connect your phone to the PC using the original USB cable.
- Boot into the bootloader of your phone by turning off the phone and pressing and holding the volume up+ power button. Alternatively, you can open the ADB command prompt, connect your phone via USB, and write the command – ” ADB reboot recovery.”
- This recovery menu will work only using volume and power buttons. So use volume up and down to move up and down and use the power button to select an option.
- Now find ADB sideload from that menu and select it using the power button. Make sure your phone is connected to the PC.
- On your PC, in the ADB terminal window, type “ADB sideload (filename).zip” and press enter.
- Wait for the process to finish, and then you can reboot your system.