How To Pair WearOS SmartWatch with a New Phone Without Factory Reset
WearOS is a platform designed by Google to run on smartwatches. Most of the modern smartwatches like Fossil, Skagen or even the latest Galaxy Watch 4 all the watches runs on WearOS only. WearOS is an Android platform designed for smartwatches. One major issue with these smartwatches is that every time you reset your smartphone or if you change your smartphone then, you also have to reset your smartwatch and then re-pair it again. not to mention the pain of downloading the apps and customizing the watch accordingly is a nightmare for anyone who owns a WearOS smartwatch and frequently changes their smartphones. In this post, we will guide you on how to pair the WearOS smartwatch with a new phone without performing a factory reset.
How To Pair WearOS SmartWatch with a new Phone Without Factory Reset
- make sure that your computer has ADB installed, if not then you can download it from here.
- Once you have downloaded the platform-tools, extract them and open the platform-tools folder.
- Inside the platform-tools folder, you need to type cmd in the address bar and press Enter as shown in the image below.
- Now, that you have ADB ready, make sure that your computer is connected to a 2.4GHZ wifi network.
- On your WearOS smartwatch, turn on the Wifi and connect to the same 2.4GHz Wifi network on which your computer is connected.
- Next, go to the settings app of your smartwatch and then go to system and then about to enable the developer’s option.
- inside the about watch find the software status and inside it tap 7 times on the build number of the software.
- You should get a toast notification saying the developer option is enabled.
- Go back to the settings and scroll down to the developer’s option.
- Inside the developer’s option scroll down and enable ADB Debugging.
- Tap on the green tick when prompted for confirmation.
- Next, you need to enable Debug over Wifi.
- Your smartwatch should display a string of characters after a while and that will be your IP address. This confirms that ADB over wifi has been successfully enabled. The IP address will be something like 192.168.1.234:6666. Make sure to note it down somewhere.
Unpairing the Watch from your Old Phone via ADB
After you have finished setting up ADB on your WearOS smartwatch and your computer we can proceed with the unpairing steps.
- On the terminal window that we opened inside the platform-tools, you need to type adb connect <IP Address>. Instead of IP Address, you need to type the IP Address of your smartwatch that you noted down. So inside the terminal window, it should look like- adb connect 192.168.1.234:6666.
- A prompt should appear on your watch to allow the ADB connection between your computer and smartwatch. Click on OK.
- The terminal window should now display that your smartwatch is connected to the computer over ADB.
- Now, you need to enter the following command to be able to unpair your smartwatch, also the moment you enter the command your watch will reboot.
adb shell “pm clear com.google.android.gms && reboot”
- After the smartwatch is turned on, make sure to cool it down for a while, then allow it to connect to your Wifi network and then you need to connect your smartwatch to the ADB by repeating the above steps.
- Once you have set up all again, you need to type the following command on the terminal window. This will make your smartwatch discoverable to the new phone.
adb shell “am start -a android.bluetooth.adapter.action.REQUEST_DISCOVERABLE”
- Finally, you need to open the WearOS app on your new smartphone and you shall easily be able to pair the smartwatch with your new phone without going through the hassle of resetting your smartwatch.
That’s it, you have successfully paired your smartwatch with your new phone without erasing and resetting the smartwatch.
This was an extensive guide on how you can set up ADB on your computer and connect your WearOS smartwatch with ADB to debug over wifi. Along with that, following the above tutorial you will be able to connect your WearOS smartwatch to your new smartphone without going through the hassle of erasing and then again setting up your smartwatch from the scratch.