How To Install Android 12 GSI ROM on Any Smartphone?
Google is making some substantial changes to their Android OS. we are going to see the biggest UI change ever since the release of Android lollipop 5.0. Recently, we saw google unveiled the upcoming Android 12 with its new material you design which looks very promising. The latestet version of Android has an all-new design of notifications and quick settings panel, animations and much more. As of now Android 12 is running the beta testing for their pixel devices. It will officially launch the stable version of Android 12 in September alongside the new Pixel 6 series. However, if you can’t wait till September and wants to try the latest Android 12 developer preview on your smartphone. Then, fortunately there is a GSI rom available for every device that has project treble support. Here is how to install Android 12 GSI ROM on any smartphone.
Most of the devices support project treble updates by Google, however, do a little bit of research if your device has support for it or not. most of the OnePlus device above OnePlus 5t comes with project treble. However, Samsung users should stay away from this. Also make sure to back up your data before you start because it will wipe the data of your device.
- AOSP GSI – Download via Developer Android (Google)
- Pixel 5 GSI – Download (GSI Tutorials)
- Stock firmware file of your Android device, this is needed to extract the boot.img file of your device.
Make sure to copy and paste the GSI ROM inside the platform-tools folder.
How To Install Android 12 GSI ROM on Any Smartphone using fastboot method
In this tutorial we will take a reference device as OnePlus 7, however you can choose any other smartphone of your choice, make sure it has project treble support.
- First you must unlock the bootloader of your device, here is a tutorial for unlocking the bootloader of OnePlus 7 you can find your phone’s as well.
- Make sure you have ADB installed and ready on your computer.
- Enable USB Debugging on your Android device by going into settings >> Developer’s options >> Enable USB Debugging.
- Now, connect your Android device to your computer via a USB cable and open the adb command prompt.
- Write the command adb devices, your phone will prompt for permission to allow using adb on this device, click on allow.
- Now, type adb reboot bootloader, your phone should boot into fastboot mode, if not then you can do it manually as well, by turning your phone off completely, and then pressing and holding the power button and volume up button together for more than 5 seconds.
- Once inside fastboot mode of your device, make sure your device is connected to your computer. To confirm you can write fastboot devices on terminal window of adb and it should show a string of letters which can vary from device to device.
- Copy the GSI ROM file inside the platform tools folders if not done already.
- For GSI ROMS you need to disable the Android verified boot (AVB), do not skip this step it is one of the most important steps. Extract the vbmeta.img file from the downloaded GSI ROM and then paste it inside the platform-tools folder. Then execute the following command inside the adb terminal.
fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
- Next, enter the following command to wipe the system partitions.
fastboot erase system
- Finally, execute the below command to flash the Android 12 GSI ROM firmware on your device. You have to write the name of the firmware file after writing flash system in my case its system.img so i have written flash system system.img.
fastboot -w flash system system.img
- The above step will take up to 10 minutes or so, it might show some errors like invalid sparse chunk. Ignore it and wait for the process to finish, once done execute the below command.
Alternative method of installing Android 12 GSI ROM (Using DSU LOADER)
- Make sure USB Debugging is enabled on your Android device.
- You also need to unlock the bootloader of your device to make this method work. (Here is a guide to unlock bootloader for most of the phones)
- Head into developer options of your device and find DSU Loader.
- Click on it and make sure you are connected to the internet.
- Google will now search and bring in all the supported GSI ROMs for your device. Select any one of your choices.
- Usually, you will see two of the GSI ROM packages, one would be GSI ARM64 and the other one would be GSI+GSM the difference between both is that the first one comes without any Google apps and Google play services, while the latter has all the Google services and Google apps required.
- That’s it, tap on one of the GSI ROMS which you want, and it will install on its own.
So, this was an extensive guide on how to install Android 12 GSI ROM on any Android device. It is completely a developer build, so it is not recommended to try this unless you need it. Also, do not try to install this on your daily driver, as it may brick your phone and it might not boot your device, even if you perform the steps correctly. Make sure you have the stock firmware ready, incase this fails you can go back to your stock firmware by flashing it.
Here is a video link for the tutorial as well as how the Pixel 5 GSI ROM will look on your device, everything can be seen in the video below.