How to Boot Galaxy Watch 4 in Recovery Mode
The Samsung x Google partnership has quickly made the Galaxy Watch 4 the default Android Watch. Samsungs hardware has finally been combined with Google’s WearOS. This also opens the door to customisation and side-loading which wasn’t possible with Tizen. You can side-load apps via ADB or IP Address which has been the preferred tweak for the tech enthusiast. The first step on the road to customisation is to Boot Galaxy Watch 4 in Recovery Mode.
What are the Options Present in Galaxy Watch 4 Recovery Mode
- Reboot system now– Boot your watch back to the Android OS
- Reboot to Bootloader– Boot your watch to the Bootloader/Fastboot Mode.
- Enter Fastboot– Boot your watch to the FastbootD Mode.
- Apply Update from ADB– Install firmware via ADB Sideload.
- Apply Update from SD Card– Install firmware via ADB Sideload.
- Wipe data/factory reset– Delete all the apps and their data from your watch.
- Wipe cache partition– Delete all the temporary app data from the cache partition.
- Mount /system– Mount the system partition on your watch.
- View Recovery Logs– Get the technical details of all the tasks that you have carried out in this mode.
- Run Graphics Test– Carry out display and pixel related tests.
- Run Locale Test– Use by app developers for language translation-related tasks.
- Power Off– Turn off your watch.
How to Boot Galaxy Watch 4 to Recovery Mode
Here are the steps on how to boot your Galaxy Watch 4 in recovery mode.
Install Android SDK
The first step would be to Install Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC. This is the official ADB and Fastboot binary provided by Google. So download it and then extract it to any convenient location on your PC. Doing so will give you the platform-tools folder, which will be used throughout this guide.
Enable ADB Debugging in Galaxy Wach 4
- Go to the Settings > About Watch > Software and tap Software Version 7 times.
- Then go to Developer Options and enable the toggle next to ADB Debugging.
- After that, scroll down a little bit and enable the toggle next to Debug over WiFi.
- It will now bring up the IP Address, note it down somewhere [do not include the port number, i.e. values after the colon].
Connect Galaxy Watch 4 to PC via ADB Command
- Go to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in its address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch Command Prompt.
- Now type in the below command in this CMD window. [Replace the IP]. Command – adb connect IP
- You will now get a prompt on your watch, tap OK or Always Allow from this computer.
- Execute the below command to verify the ADB Connection between your watch and PC. Command – adb devices
- You will now get your IP Address and port number, followed by the ‘device’ keyword.
Boot Galaxy Watch 4 in Recovery Mode
- Now execute the below command in the CMD window and your Galaxy Watch 4 will now boot to the Recovery Mode. Command – adb reboot recovery
- You may now navigate through the options by performing a swipe up/down gesture on your watch. To make a selection, just press any of the two buttons on your watch.
- If you want to get out of the Recovery Mode, click on Reboot System Now option and press either of the keys on your watch, it will now boot to the OS.
Here is how can you Boot into Recovery Mode in your Galaxy Watch 4. Now you can manually flash firmware, access Fastboot Mode, delete cache and/or entire data, run hardware tests, and access the FastbootD mode.